Nov 16, 2007

PIU and AFO

Well we started the day by going to PIU aka Pump It Up. Alan went this time as well, and we had a great time. The three of us had a great workout. We then went to Cici's Pizza (a pizza buffet), which is always a huge hit with Max. While there Erin (Max's PT) called to tell us Max's AFO aka Ankle-foot orthotic) was in!! YEAH, we were really hoping it would be in before we left for our week long vacation in Florida (we leave Monday night). So we went in and got it. At first Max didn't want anything to do with it. Then he was OK with it. So he walked around a little without his shoes on (cause they didn't fit over the AFO). He thru a fit here and there, and really didn't want to keep them on or do any physical therapy today. When we left we headed to Kohl's to find shoes that would fit over the AFO. That was a nightmare!!!! He didn't want me to put the AFO on so I could test the shoe I wanted to buy, so he SCREAMED at the top of his lungs and flug around like I was trying to cut his toes off! I finally got it on him, and found a shoe that would work (2 sizes bigger, than his normal shoe!) So we got him home, and he is to wear it an hour today, two tomorrow, etc. etc. I go to put it on and of course he screams murder again. But it has to be done, so we hold him down, get it on, and try our hardest to distract him with food. It would work, but then he would start again. So it was not a fun first day with the AFO!!!!! By the way, the AFO is going to help Max walk better. So tomorrow is another day. I really hope he does better. Here is a picture of it. I think its cute, with the little trucks on it.


2 comments:

Teresa =) said...

Chelsie -

Thanks for posting the pics of the AFOs -- Carson is getting fitted for his on Nov. 27th! Very unfortunate about the shoes not fitting over it...what will Carson do without his Ultraman shoes???????

Have a safe trip and a great Thanksgiving. We'll see you guys when you get back!

Teresa =)

Anonymous said...

you should bring him over and show him that grandpa has on a afo and maybe he will like it better. and get a shoe horn, it helps put the shoe on the afo. hugs and if i dont see you have a great vacation ,,, mommie dearest